“Women think of all colors except the absence of color. I have said that black has it all. … [Its] beauty is absolute. It is the perfect harmony.” – Coco Chanel
Black makes everyone look amazing. It all started with the invention of the “Little Black Dress” by Coco Chanel in the 1920s. Chanel wore all black with long pearls often and believed that black would strip women from the artifice of body swallowing colours, fabrics, feathers in all their extravagance. It is therefore far from a surprise that the “Full Black Look” is still embraced by highly fashionable people around the fashion world and sported by celebrities on the streets and on the red carpet.
Black is elegant, black is chic and slimming. Black looks good with all hair colours and all skin tones and looks just as good on women that it does on men. Getting dressed in the morning is instantly easier and accessorizing is a breeze. On the other hand, black can easily turn to boring or unappealing and you could just end up blending into the background than shining in the foreground.
These 5 rules will easily help you with keeping your “Full Black Look” interesting, fashionable and fit for all aspects of your life. It’s in vogue, and easy to emulate, so there is no reason why you shouldn’t embrace it.
1. Vary the fabrics and textures. Nothing looks more mundane than an all-black cotton outfit.
2. On the fabric note, make sure the fabric selection is season appropriate. A black wool dress will look fabulous in the fall, but out-of-place during the summer. Silk and linen make it easier to pull off the all-black look during the warmer months.
3. Don’t be afraid to play with dimensions and contrast in relation to fit. A large top will always look good with tight jeans or leather tights.
4. Add interest with accessories. Bold, colorful jewelry becomes the statement piece of your outfit. For me, a massive necklace usually does the trick
5. Make your outfit more dressy or casual with the simple change of lipstick color. A LBD can go from day (with a light pink lip stain) to-night (with a bold, deep red lip) seamlessly.
6. The same goes for shoes; a flat playful shoe keeps the outfit fresh and easy-going, whereas a sexy stiletto gives to outfit a fit-for-night boost.
7. A camel or coloured coat will finish up your look seamlessly during the cold winter.
Now feel free to emulate Chanel or Audrey Hepburn, and know you will look good whatever happens. Here are a few inspiration images for you to go through.